- 1 pound Ground Beef (90% lean)
- 1 and 1/2 pounds russet potatoes (2 large potatoes), peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup milk
- 4 tablespoon butter, cut into chunks
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided use
- 1 can (4 ounce) diced mild green chilies, drained
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package (1 and 1/4 ounces) taco seasoning
- 1 and 1/2 cups salsa (hot, medium or mild depending on preference)
- 1 can (15 and 1/2 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- Pepper, to taste
Avocado & Tomato Topping
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 large avocado, diced
- Juice of 1/2 of a lime
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350ºF.
Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with 1 inch water. Stir in salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. Drain potatoes and return to pot. Mash potatoes until smooth. Add butter, milk, green chilies and 2/3 cup of cheese. Stir until well combined, cover and set aside.
While potatoes are cooking, cook beef in a large skillet, breaking up with a spatula, stirring occasionally until browned. Add garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute. Drain, sprinkle in the taco seasoning, add salsa and stir to combine. Cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently, until the mixture comes to a simmer and thickens. Remove from heat and gently stir in black beans.
Transfer meat mixture to a 2 – quart baking dish and spread out evenly. Top with the mashed potatoes, spreading to an even layer all the way to the edges, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake for 30 – 40 minutes until beginning to turn brown.
While pie is baking, place the diced tomatoes, avocado, cilantro and lime juice in a medium bowl, season with salt and pepper, stir to combine. Top each serving with a big scoop of avocado and tomato mixture.
Nutrition information per serving: 510 calories; 25 g fat (11 g saturated fat; 0 g trans fat); 80 mg cholesterol; 1910 mg sodium; 47 g carbohydrate; 11 g fiber; 7 g sugar; 28 g protein; 20% vitamin A; 20% calcium; 30% vitamin C; 25% iron