- 1 pound boneless Top Sirloin Steak
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided use
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, mix of red and orange, chopped
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 can (15 and 1/2 ounce) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 3/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup milk
- Shredded pepper jack or cheddar cheese
Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and sauté bell peppers and onion till the onions begin to turn translucent. Stir in corn, black beans along with the spices. Cook for an additional 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth and milk and simmer for 15 minutes.
While soup is simmering, heat a sauté pan over medium heat, add another tablespoon olive oil. Season steak with salt and pepper; add to the pan and cook 3 – 6 minutes per side depending on personal preference for doneness. Time will also vary according to the thickness of the meat.
Let cooked meat sit for 5 minutes before slicing into bite size pieces, add steak to the soup and stir. Pour into bowls and serve with desired toppings.
Nutrition information per serving: 500 calories; 20 g fat (6 g saturated fat; 0 g trans fat); 105 mg cholesterol; 1310 mg sodium; 35 g carbohydrate; 10 g fiber; 8 g sugar; 46 g protein; 30% vitamin A; 15% calcium; 90% vitamin C; 35% iron